Customer contact centre

Due to higher than usual demand this week, our Contact Centre will be operating for fines enquiries only this Saturday, 26 May from 9.30am to 4.00pm. For fines enquiries phone: 1300 138 118. For overdue fines phone: 1300 655 805. For any other enquiries please call during normal business hours (Monday to Friday).

Payroll Tax annual reconciliation 2017 - Grouped companies


If you pay wages that exceed the NSW payroll tax threshold, you are required to lodge an annual reconciliation by 21 July each year.

Before you begin, you will need certain information including:

  • Client ID and Correspondence ID
  • NSW wages
  • Interstate wages
  • ABN
  • Apprentices and trainees
  • Grouping information
  • Tax paid records, if you have made monthly payments.

To log in, use your client ID and correspondence ID from your most recent payroll tax letter or booklet. You will also be asked to enter ‘Challenge text’ to proceed. If you cannot read the challenge text, you can choose a new one by selecting ‘Click to get a new challenge’.

All mandatory questions are marked with an asterix.

Enter your details in the relevant field.

When you have completed the questions, selecting ‘Save’ is the only way to save any data you have entered.

If you are part of a group, you must select ‘Yes’ for the grouping question.

To proceed, select ‘Next’.

You will be asked ‘How many times did your group structure change during the employing period?’. If you had no group structure changes, you must enter ‘zero’ (‘0’). If there have been changes, you need to put in how many times the group structure changed, then select ‘Enter’, and key in the start and end dates for these changes and choose your group status using the drop-down menu under ‘Status’.

If you have entered an incorrect number for the group structure changes, you can select the ‘Reset’ button and reenter the correct amount. To change the group status, use the ‘Previous’ button.

Under ‘Enter group details’, type in the client IDs of all other NSW group members. If there are interstate-only members in the group, fill in the ‘Number of interstate only clients’ field.

If you indicated that you are a single lodger, you must enter the ‘Number of non-lodging members in the group’ in that field.

If you choose to use monthly calculator figures by selecting ‘Yes’, the figures you have entered throughout the year will be pre-populated.

If your status changed throughout the year, the ‘Wage details’ fields for each change will be in separate columns. You will have to enter the wage details for all part periods in the ‘Group single lodger’ column. To display these wage details, select the ‘Calc’ button.

If you choose not to use the ‘Monthly calculator figures’ you will have to enter wage figures for all the columns.

You will also need to include ‘Estimated monthly wages’ for the following financial year.

If you are a single lodger, enter the wage details of all the members you are lodging on behalf of.

Any payments you have made throughout the year will be displayed against each return period.

A summary of the calculations is available to confirm you have entered the correct details.

If your tax payable is more than the payments received, it will show you the amount outstanding.

If your tax payable is less than the payments received, it will show you the refund amount. For a more detailed summary, select ‘Show tax calculation details’.

If you are due a refund, you will need to give an explanation why you are requesting a refund in the ‘Provide a detailed explanation’ box and you will need to enter your bank account details.

Once you have entered your refund details, select ‘Lodge’ to lodge your return.

If you need to make a payment to finalise your Annual Reconciliation, you need to select ‘Lodge’ to receive your payment options. Choose ‘Register’ to pay via direct debit or choose ‘Other payment options’ to use EFT, BPAY, credit card or to pay at Australia Post.

Once you have lodged, you will receive a confirmation by email.

You can select ‘Print a confirmation of lodgement’ or ‘Generate PDF of reconcilliation’ to save an electronic copy. You can also choose ‘Cancellation of registration’ if you are no longer liable for payroll tax.

For more information about payroll tax and the Annual Reconciliation, go to the Office of State Revenue website at

Last updated: 19 June 2017